Industry Day and Open House
April 29, 2015
Berkeley Lab's Industry Day and Open House, hosted by the Energy Storage and Grid Integration Groups, was attended by more than 72 guests from the private sector
representing 55 companies. Of these, 31 were California-based companies, 7 were U.S. companies with a strong presence in California, and 13 were foreign companies with facilities in California, all representing a broad spectrum of activities in the energy storage space—materials, batteries, testing equipment, car companies, grid storage, system integrators—ranging from start-ups to multi-national giants.
The day's activities included a number of talks highlighting Lab expertise and contractual mechanisms for leveraging that expertise, followed by Q&A sessions, Lab and facility tours, and a poster and networking session. The proof-of-concept voucher initiative was announced as a quick and nimble way for industry to access Berkeley Lab resources. Jeff Anderson, President of CalCharge, also gave a talk which reviewed the progress of CalCharge and the buoyancy of the local ecosystem.
Ninety percent of the guests polled rated their visit as useful or very useful.
Agenda and Presentations
Click the italicized talk titles in the agenda below to download a pdf copy of the presentation from the meeting.
- 8:15 a.m. - Registration (Bldg. 66 Auditorium)
- 8:45 a.m - Welcome Venkat Srinivasan, LBNL)
- 9:00 a.m. - Engaging with LBNL: A New Approach (Venkat Srinivasan, LBNL)
- 9:30 a.m. - Berkeley Lab Partnerships with Industry (Betsy Quayle, LBNL)
- 9:40 a.m. - The CalCharge Ecosystem (Jeff Anderson, CalCEF/CalCharge)
- 9:55 a.m. - Collaboration in Action (Marca Doeff, LBNL)
- 10:15 a.m. - Facilities and Expertise (Horst Simon, LBNL)
- 10:30 a.m. - Berkeley Lab Facilities Open House and Tours
- 12:00 p.m. - LUNCH
- 1:00 p.m. - Computational Materials Discovery (Kristin Persson, LBNL)
- 1:15 p.m. - Advanced Characterization Techniques (1), and (2)
(Robert Kostecki (1), Dilworth Parkinson (2), Ethan Crumlin, LBNL)
- 2:00 p.m. - Lab-scale Fabrication (Vince Battaglia, LBNL)
- 2:30 p.m. - Accessing DOE's Tech-to-Market Program Funding
- 2:45 p.m. - DOE's Small Business Voucher Program (Alecia Ward, LBNL)