Engineering: Build, Test, and Evaluate
Berkeley Lab has a rich history of electrochemical analysis and testing of systems and components. The science of electrochemical engineering started at U.C. Berkeley with the development of the Chemical Engineering Department. This tradition of innovation and collaboration has been maintained throughout the years and is one of the significant attributes of the relationship between Berkeley Lab and U.C. Berkeley. Every Principal Investigator in the program is well-versed in the fundamentals of electrochemistry and performs some type of electrochemical analysis.
- Specialized Electrode Fabrication
- Ability to fabricate very thin electrodes (below 15 microns) and carbon and binderless free electrodes for electrochemical characterization and in operando chemical characterization.
- Battery Test Protocols
- Expertise in development of battery testing protocols for the sizing and testing batteries for vehicular and grid applications.
- Traditional Electrode and Cell Fabrication Methods
- Complete fabrication facilities for making anodes and cathodes under aqueous and non-aqueous conditions with calendering. Able to fabricate coin cells (1.25 cm2) and pouch cells (12 cm2).
Gloveboxes, mixers, drawdown tables, doctor blades, and rolling mills for electrode fabrication; pneumatic and hand crimpers for coin cell assembly; laminators for pouch cell assembly.
- Electrochemical Characterization
- Basic electrochemical characterization methodologies of chemical systems to understand the fundamental principles of electrode reactions and the electrical properties of electrode-solution interfaces. This includes techniques in kinetics analysis, transport properties measurement and analysis, and the use of impedance spectroscopy.
Rotating ring/disk, symmetric cells, carbon and binderless electrodes, coin and pouch cells with reference electrodes, potentiostats, and solartrons.
- Battery Testing
- Hundreds of channels for testing cells at currents between 1 micro amp to 50 mA with ac impedance capability. Experience in the application of automotive-specific testing.
Maccor, Biologic, and VMP3 battery cyclers; Potentiostats and solartrons.